Friday, December 5, 2008

Recount over, Coleman still leads

The Recount in Minnesota is over, at least the recounting part any is anyway. Coleman is up by 192 votes. However there are still 133 missing ballots from Minneapolis. Coleman started the recount with a 215 vote lead. So even with all of Franken's deceit he only made up 23 votes. However there are 6657 challenged ballots. Coleman challenged 3,376 ballots and Franken challenged 3,281. However from my experience has a poll watcher this election I seriously doubt this election will be swung by challenged ballots. Anyone can make a challenge for any reason including no reason. I feel sure most of these challenges fall under the category of for no reason.

With what I am now calling a Republican victory in Minnesota and Saxby's big win in Georgia. The Republicans will have 42 seats in the U.S. Senate. This should help us keep the Democrats in check since we will be able to sustain a filibuster if it's necessary. Also remember that the out of power party usually picks up seats in the Presidents first midterm. Also I believe 2012 is supposed to be a good year for Republicans in the Senate meaning were challenging for more seats than were defending. So it's possible that we could take the senate back in 2012. I figure we'll also pick up seats in the House in 2010. Whether or not we pick up more in 2012 will depend on how Obama does as President.

2012 Conservatism Strikes Back

http://www.startribune.com/politics/national/senate/35607614.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUX

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if I'd say you can take back the Senate in 2012. I think it's more likely that you'll start picking up seats again in 2012. 2010 is a lot like this year in terms of how many seats you'll be defending vs. how many you'll be challenging. I'm thinking you'll break even at best, or lose two or three more seats at worst.

    I also like how the fact that because Franken's vote count hasn't changed much, it's evidence not of the fact that he wasn't engaged in any deceit, it's that he wasn't doing it well enough. I should also note that if the state canvass judges all the challenged ballots in the same manner as the local boards were going to call them, then Franken's camp is up by four votes (according to Franken).

    I'm sticking with my idea that this election isn't worth watching until the challenged ballots come back in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The President generally loses seats in his first midterm. President Bush was a anomaly. Obama will loses seats in the Senate and House in 2010 (as almost every President does in his first midterm) Then in 2012 we'll take back the Senate and the Presidency.

    2010 Conservatism strikes back!

    ReplyDelete